If you haven’t heard Linden Lab’s latest bone headed move to abuse its users it is against SL icon Strawberry Singh. The second life user that fills in the gaps for new SL users that LL can’t or won’t.
While I am not a lawyer and am unqualified to make a legal opinion I can say LL’s actions are stupid in the extreme.
The best description I’ve seen is on New World Notes at http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2017/12/second-life-youtube-infringement-ip-trademark-claims-strawberry-singh-1.html
This may be the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. I have been watching LL’s stupidity for twelve years and they go from one disaster to another. Never missing a chance to make a stupid move to denigrate the people who keep them financially alive.
Currently for personal reasons I am on “vacation” from SL and only logging in about once a month. Now I’m thinking I should make that “vacation” permanent and extend it to Linden Lab’s Sansar also!
Strawberry Singh put out a challenge to post seven facts about your Second Life. I thought this was interesting project so here are seven facts about Willow Dion.
- Fact #1 Since I joined SL in 2005 I think I’ve always had a “premium account”. I’m not sure but I don’t think there was what is now called a free account back then. If there was I started paying for my account within a few days. Since I found friends and started having fun within a few days.
- Fact#2 One of those friends, Bob, is older than SL. He was part of the beta test of Second Life and has a rez day of April 2003 and SL’s birthday is June 2003.
- Fact #3 Bob and I had daily or almost daily help sessions for newbies during the latter part of 2005. He would do the more technical help sessions and I would have the “fun” part by having a pool party and showing people how to dance, turn their music on, and other fun tips. I was really addicted and one day I danced for eight hours. We had these sessions twice a day, one for Europeans and one for the Americans. Eventually I burned out.
- Fact #4 When I joined you could pick your first name. But you could only use a last name from a limited number of choices that Linden Lab gave you. So, I became Willow Dion.
- Fact #5 During my time in SL I took an almost two-year vacation where I would just log in once a month. During the time I was gone mesh clothing got good. It was so different I had to learn to get dressed all over again.
- Fact #6 It took me nine years to find my husband. Since we celebrated our third anniversary the past summer good things come to those who wait even in SL.
- Fact #7 After some initial experimenting I have stayed with the same basic shape I made until January of this year. Except when I was expecting our daughter and I made appropriate changes. I tried the first mesh bodies and heads but didn’t like them because they were not me. When Bento heads became available I tried them with the Maitreya body. I modified my shape so the combination looks like an improved me. Now I have a mesh body and head I like and doubt I’ll make many changes unless something spectacular comes along.
I live far enough inland that when it gets here Irma just supposed to be a category 1 hurricane. Which will hopefully just mean just knocked down trees and power lines. I usually pay my rent on Monday but that will be just when Irma is supposed to hit here. So, I realized Saturday morning I better go ahead a pay it.
I hope I won’t be out of this virtual world long. I may even try to get on with my laptop just to say hello. I’m keeping my phone, laptop, and iPad all charged up.
First Sansar Login
Something was clear very quickly. People don’t know to move off the experience destination landing point either. Hey people I think most of you should know it’s good manners to move off the landing point. Of course, it took four minutes for the experience to rez so people may have gone off to get a cup of coffee. Or really something stronger might be needed out of frustration. BTW my computer is above average since it is seven cores and 12-Gigs of ram running on a 75-meg line. Another experience loaded faster but no one else was there. I’m not sure how to check since there is no map but I didn’t see anyone.
The graphics are good looking but they aren’t that much better than SL’s. Hey people SL does have an advanced lighting choice in preferences.
How do you walk around without looking like you’re drunk? My arrow keys were so sensitive I would just lightly tap one and I would be moving in a radically different direction.
More later probably after I calm down from the frustration of waiting waiting waiting.
I forgot to add Willow is also in the virtual worlds of Kitely and Inworldz. I’m not in those worlds as much as Second Life.
While Kitely is technically interesting and may be the future of virtual worlds it is a little too “geeky” for me. I spent a couple of decades working professionally with computer systems and I don’t want to spend my time trying to figure out how something technically works. I’m also not fond of the its every sim is its own world data setup that is only loaded when someone accesses it.
The Inworldz world is almost the same as Second Life but without the exorbitant land prices.
Inworldz Home Interior
In my opinion Kitely and Inworldz are hindered by not having enough population. Since I’m in virtual for social reasons so that is a problem.
Since Sansar may eventually supplant Second Life; I know LL says it won’t but with the haphazard way they do thing who really knows. So, it may be a good idea to keep your options open if it doesn’t cost too much.