For those vegetarians amongst us. I’m not one of you but this dish is for you. I don’t eat that much meat. Humans evolved to be omnivores and I’m one. What meat I do eat does not go through the usual commercial meat network. It is what I call ethical food.
For example, chickens are free range and vegetarian fed even the beef (Which I eat only once a month.) is all grass fed and does not go through the feed lots and have hormones and other chemicals added.
Yakiniku-Glazed Eggplant with Shishito Peppers and Ginger-Lime Cashews.
- ½ cup Jasmine Rice
- 3 oz. Shishito Peppers
- 2-cloves Garlic
- 1 Eggplant
- 1 Lime
- ½ lb. Baby Bok Choy
- 3 Tbs. Roasted Cashews
- 2 ½ Tbs. Yakiniku Sauce
- 1 1 in. Piece of Ginger
- 2 Tbs. Mirin
- 2 Tbs. Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbs. Sambal Oelek
Mise en place
- Cut off and medium chop the leaves and stems of the Bok Choy.
- Peel and roughly chop the Garlic.
- Cut off and discard the root ends of the Shallots then roughly chop the white ends.
- Cut the Eggplant into ½ in. rounds.
- Cut off the pepper stems the cut cross ways into ¾ in. pieces.
- Zest the Lime skin then get the juice.
- Roughly chop the Cashews.
- Peel and finely chop the ginger.
- In a small pot combine 1 cup of water, the Rice, and a generous pinch of salt. Once boiling cover and reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook for 13 minutes and the water is absorbed. Transfer to a serving bowl and put aside in a warm place.
- In a large pan heat 2 Tbs. of olive oil. When it is hot add ½ the ginger stirring frequently for a minute and a half. Add the Cashews and cook stirring continuously for 1 minute. Add the Lime Zest then transfer to a small bowl.
- Blister the peppers in a heated pan for 2 to 3 minutes without stirring.
- In the pan, you made the Ginger-Lime Cashews heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil on medium. When hot add the Eggplant rounds and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Add the diced Shallots and the remaining Ginger. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 1 minutes stirring constantly. Add the Bok Choy, Yakiniku Sauce, Mirin, Sambal Oelek, Lime juice, and ¼ cup of water. Cook stirring well for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the peppers.
- Stir in the Sesame Oil to the Rice.
Plate your dish and garnish with the Cashews. Makes 2 servings. There will be a good bit of heat in the dish. I think that is good in a vegetarian dish.